To standardize email protocol, the availability of contact information, and adherence to accessibility guidelines, email clients should be configured according to the following criteria.
Email body text should be set in Trebuchet MS, 11 pt, RGB 51/51/51 (#333333). Email clients that describe text sizes in pixels (e.g. Apple Mail) should be set in 15px. The Outlook Web App (exchange.syr.edu) should be set in Trebuchet MS, 12pt, as 11pt is not an option on that platform.
In Outlook for Windows, change the default font by going to “File,” then “Options,” and choose “Mail” in the list of options in the pop-up window. Click the “Stationery and Fonts” button and type in “Trebuchet MS, 11 pt.” for all three types of messages—new mail messages, replying or forwarding messages, and composing and reading text messages.
In Outlook for Mac, change the default font by going to “Outlook Preferences,” then “Personal Settings,” “Fonts,” and “Default Fonts for Composing.” Set “Trebuchet MS, 11pt.” for all three types of messages—new mail messages, replying or forwarding messages, and composing and reading text messages.
Copy/paste the following template into the Signature field in your email client’s settings. Then, modify the content to reflect your personal information.
See Formatting your Email Signature for additional guidance or if you lose any of the formatting when copying/pasting this template.
T 315.443.1111 M 315.443.2222 F 315.443.3333
Address, Syracuse, NY 13244
- Job titles and departments should be comma separated for those with dual appointments or multiple areas of responsibility.
- The T / M / F abbreviations should be removed from signatures that include only one phone number.
- While it is necessary to make distinctions between telephone numbers and fax numbers, it is no longer necessary to call special attention to an email or Internet address.
- Abbreviations should always be used for street addresses: Rm. (Room), Ste. (Suite), Ave. (Avenue), St. (Street), Pl. (Place), Rd. (Road), N., S., E., W. (North, South, East, West).
- Signatures may include one of the following social media handles: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn. These accounts must be professionally related; no personal accounts may be listed.
- The link to syracuse.edu may be replaced with a more specific division/department URL.
- If your position warrants their inclusion, division/department social media accounts may be included after the URL. See Social Media Signatures for additional information.
- Modern email clients add hyperlinks to URLs and email addresses automatically. It is not necessary to add these links manually.
See Sample Email Signatures for guidance when placing or styling these exceptions.
In addition to fonts, colors, sizing, and content, the following guidelines should also be considered:
- Avoid the use of background images and background colors. Keep it simple and use a white background to ensure accessibility.
- Avoid including inspirational quotes, unless they speak to an approved University campaign.
- Only include contact information relevant to your position.